We’re one of the world’s top research universities. Ranked second globally in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings and in the top 45 of research universities around the world. Our research is driven by the big picture. We take a problem and look at it from all angles, combining the expertise and talents of scholars from many disciplines. Whether you’re an aspiring academic or want to explore a passion, a research degree at the University of Sydney can make the difference.
Our interdisciplinary approach unites experts in diverse fields. We provide a hub for industry, government and community groups to collaborate with us and connect with our researchers and students. We are home to over 100 world-renowned multidisciplinary research and teaching centres that work alongside some of the world’s brightest and most accomplished academics to tackle some of the worlds most pressing issues.
We also have a coursework component to our research degrees. You will have the opportunity to create your own distinct research pathway by selecting from more than 270 units from any faculty, a first of it’s kind in Australia, with study areas ranging from specialist analytical methods and professional engagement courses to discipline-specific subjects.
- Health and wellbeing
- Society and Culture
- Environmental Issues
- The robot revolution that will help farmers all over the world
- Nanoscale battery to transform renewable energy storage
- Tumour tracking reshapes the future of cancer treatment
- Bona fide bone substitute could revolutionise surgery worldwide
- Why revisiting the Great Barrier Reef’s past could protect its future
- 100+ Research Centres
- 5000 Research Students
- 5500 Research Staff/Supervising academics
- More funding information and application deadlines available here.
- Prospective students can apply for scholarships for research study, or competitive grants as a professional researcher. More information
Scholarships in focus:
- Australian Government RTP Scholarship (International)
- Faculty of Engineering Research Scholarship
- Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Computational Neuroimaging
We're committed to fostering the best and brightest researchers, and have a wide range of scholarship options to support international research students. Prospective students can apply for scholarships for research study, or competitive grants as a professional researcher.